If you know how to dunk, then you are a master at playing basketball. Learning this technique will help you gain a lot of strength and knowledge. If you know this technique, then you are sure to win the game.
Mostly tall people are found in the field of basketball, and that is the reason dunking is necessary to get more skilled at it. You have to practice if you want to get better, though. Here are some of the steps which you can follow on learning how to dunk better.
How to Dunk:
- You need to build up the moves to get started. Move forward to the basket by taking two steps and holding the ball in your palm. Make sure not to hold the ball too tight because you are aiming to shoot it. Now from the front of your foot, leap and then extend the arm to pass the ball through its net.
- Try to dunk it from one hand because that is how your practice needs to be built. If you find it hard to do it with one hand, then use both hands, but make sure to try it with one hand first.
- Make sure to start with a small ball because you are just at the starting stage. It will be easier for you to understand the technique without focusing that you have to hold a big ball in your hand. Now try to shoot it by aiming it through the net and practice it repeatedly.
- You need to get the practice of holding the ball correctly; do not grip it in your palm. Instead, just hold it from the fingers would do fine.
- Now run as you dribble the ball so that you can reach the net. You need to run slow so you can get a hold of it. Dribble the ball and with that, move around by taking small steps.
- If you have played tennis or volleyball before, this game is different because here you will have to run to aim instead of standing and hitting the ball. In volleyball, you do have to move around but stay within the very small boundaries of a volleyball court. This game requires your proper attention while running.
- Make sure to aim at a lower hoop at first. Do not aim for high nets because you’re still just practicing and learning. You’ll need to improve your speed and the height gradually.
- Get a good pair of comfortable basketball shoes. You might hurt yourself learning to dunk, but if you are wearing a good pair of shoes, then there are fewer chances for you to get hurt.
- It is okay to make mistakes in the beginning because you will be just learning. You might miss some of your shots, but as you keep on practicing you will improve.
Build the Jump
While learning how to dunk, it is important that you build your jump. You will need to jump a bit higher than usual to be successful. For that, your muscles need to be strong, and you need to have the maximum strength to lift yourself in the air to make a successful dunk. Your body needs to feel light so you can jump higher.
This obviously requires practice and a proper workout. Your body needs to be flexible to have the strength to jump high. Sit-ups, squats, and leg raises would be the exercises which you will have to do daily to get started with proper jumping. Vertical jumps may become difficult if you are not properly focused; to be a successful player, you need to have that skill for sure.
To make it easier for you, begin at home. Nearly everyone has stairs in their house. Jump those often. You will find it difficult at first, but the more you do it, the more you will get better at it. Go up and down daily about 20 times and increase that number to build up your strength. Your hip movement is necessary to be flexible as well, which is why you either need to start walking, or you need to start taking those stairs at a run.
It won’t be easy – all your effort will be needed – so focus and perform accordingly. If you want to become more dominant on the court, get more rebounds and increase your vertical jump by nine to 15 inches, then you have to check out Jump Manual, you won’t be disappointed.