If you are looking for how to improve vertical jump skills, there are a number of very useful tips you can follow. By doing so, you can greatly increase the height of your vertical jump, something which is essential in many sporting activities.
How To Improve Vertical Jump With Weights
Training to improve your vertical jump can involve many different aspects. One which is often overlooked, is weight training. Of course, the aim here is not to bulk up like a bodybuilder. Instead, it is to work on muscle groups such as the quads and calf muscles in order to give them more strength.
The quads and calf muscles play an essential role in jumping. The strength and power needed to lift your body off from the ground a jump high comes from them, and so it is only sensible to develop these muscles.
How To Strengthen Your Legs
The quads can be strengthened by a few different methods, and in our opinion, it is a very good idea to follow a specific vertical leap workout plan. We have included details of this at the end of the article, but before then, we will mention a few of the exercises you might find included there.
Vertical Workout Leg Exercises
If you are looking at how to improve vertical jump skills, these leg exercises are good examples of exercises aimed at building leg strength.
- Leg Press – The leg press machine can be found in most gyms, and involves you keeping the upper body still, while you push weights away from it.
- Leg Extensions – Another commonly found piece of gym equipment, which works out the quads.
- Wall Sits – This does not involve any special equipment, and is an exercise that can be tried at home. Stand with your back leaning against a wall, and lower yourself down until your quads are at 90 degrees. Stay in this position, and after a while, you will feel the muscles begin to burn.
Calf Muscle Exercises
A range of exercises can be tried to strengthen and develop the calf muscles.
- Running sprints – Helps to develop calf muscles, speed, and power.
- Toe Raises – You can perform this exercise with or without weights to work out the calf muscles.
Although this article has mentioned a few exercises you can try to help develop your vertical leap, we highly recommend that you follow a well designed jump training workout program. We have one here which will interest you, as it is packed full of useful information, including technique, workout programs, dozens of exercises and more. If you would like to know more about how to improve vertical jump skills, take a look at here today.